Old King John's Castle

Old King John's Castle
A view of King John's Castle from the River Shannon. Behind the castle turret is the end of Convent Street where Bridget and John's daughter, Mary, was born in 1865, just before Bridget left for America to join her husband John. Photo July 2011.

About John Thompson (Thomas) and Bridget Reidy

About John Thompson/Thomas and Bridget Reidy

John Thompson/Thomas was born in Ireland c 1831 and married Bridget Reidy (Riedy/Ready) c1851 in Ireland. Bridget was born in Ireland c1831. They used the Thompson and Thomas surnames interchangeably, but settled on Thomas prior to coming to America. In 1866 the family immigrated from County Limerick, Ireland, to Chicago, Illinois. They had eight known children, six born in Ireland and two born in Illinois. Bridget [Madigan/Thompson Genealogy] the oldest was born 1852 in or near Limerick City, County Limerick and died in Chicago in 1935. The other children born in Limerick include: Mary Ellen (c1855-1906); Patrick (1857-b1866); James (1860-1932); Martin (1862-1898); and Marian/Mary (1865-b1866). The two youngest children John (c1867-1879) and Lillian Marie (1869-1928) were born in Illinois, most likely, Chicago. The mother, Bridget, died of heart failure and pneumonia on May 3, 1900. Father, John, died of pneumonia three years later on May 21, 1904. They are both buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery in Chicago, Illinois

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Convent Street, Limerick City

When Bridget Reidy Thompson gave birth to Mary/Marian Thompson, her sixth child, in Limerick City, she was living on Convent Street per the birth registration for Mary/Marian.  In July 2011 I took a video of Convent Street.  It had been revitalized in 1996, but as you look around the area, older buildings from the 18th century and earlier can be viewed.

The plaque that is on the far wall of the new housing complex:

A view down Convent Street as it appears in 2011:

Older buildings surrounding Convent Street, in particular St. John's Castle:

A view of St. John's Castle from the river, note the modern entrance way in the rear of the photo that was also seen at the end of Convent Street in the video above:

Photos: Elaine Beaudoin, July 2011, Limerick City, Ireland